quarta-feira, 13 de fevereiro de 2008

A Funny One

Here's a funny one I can't explain. In a negative question with the auxiliary verb do, it sounds wrong when it's not abbreviated: Why did not you go yesterday? or present simple: Why do not you go at weekends? Now, if I say: Why didn't you go yesterday? or Why don't you go at weekends? it's okay! Now here's the funny thing: you can put the unabbreviated negative between the subject and the verb, though it sounds a little formal: Why did you not go yesterday? Why do you not go at weekends?
A funny one, eh?

2 comentários:

Candy (me) disse...

Weird indeed !

And so unexplainable.. =/

Hell when a student points something out that is hard to explain or I have no explanation for.. even though I always say I'll ck it out.

hugsss

Clara A disse...

I just love when things sound too formal! Claire